DC Sustainable Energy Utility
Washington, District Of Columbia
Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
The D.C. Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU) implements energy efficiency and renewable energy programs, with a focus on incentivizing new technologies and assisting low-income residents. DCSEU is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its effective promotion of ENERGY STAR certified products and its commitment to energy conservation. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Establishing and integrating ENERGY STAR certified products into programs specifically designed for low-income multifamily buildings and hard to reach populations.
- Continuing to transform the markets for smart thermostats, residential appliances, and light bulbs to more efficient products by using ENERGY STAR educational messaging and promotional materials with District of Columbia businesses and residents.
- Educating residents who earn sustainability “externships” across the District about the importance and impact of ENERGY STAR through its workforce development program.
- Incentivizing the sale of more than 230,000 certified products to District residents – a 39 percent increase from the previous year.
- Achieving emissions reductions of more than 860,000 metric tons of carbon, bringing the total lifetime emissions avoided to more than 3 million metric tons of carbon since 2011.
- Promoting the benefits of ENERGY STAR certified lighting through attractive educational materials, including Home Energy Savings Kits, in addition to comprehensive media and outreach campaigns to promote a variety of products.