Corning, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Corning, Inc. is a producer of specialty glass and ceramics and advanced optical products. In 2019, the company achieved a significant development milestone as its Global Energy Management Program joined the company's Manufacturing Technology and Engineering division, allowing greater energy and water savings within processes and plants. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Advancing significant energy projects for its glass manufacturing, including waste heat recovery from a glass plant and testing two new furnace technologies, one of which drops energy consumption by half and the other that doubles yield.
- Achieving a 1.2 percent energy productivity improvement in 2019.
- Increasing the number of facilities using renewable energy as five solar projects went online in 2019 for a total of 15 Corning solar projects with a nameplate capacity of more than 58 megawatts around the world.
- Incorporating strategic elements in the corporate energy program by using ENERGY STAR's treasure hunts, Guidelines for Energy Management and Challenge for Industry. Nine plants achieved the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry.
- Engaging sites around the world through targeted awareness activities, including the first international Energy Summit in Shanghai, China, for all sites in Asia and ENERGY STAR Industrial Showcases celebrating five plants achieving the Challenge for Industry.
- Expanding its energy management culture throughout the company through targeted communication such as articles, energy management networks and other unique methods for reaching employees.