Corning, New York
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Corning Incorporated applies its expertise in the sciences of glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that transform industries and enhance lives. The company’s Global Energy Management (GEM) program continually evolves to ensure future improvements. Corning is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year– Sustained Excellence recognition for the addition of new strategic dimensions to its corporate energy program. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 6.8 percent corporate energy productivity improvement over 2016 equal to 148,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions avoided. Since 2007, the company’s long-term improvement is 36 percent, representing $490 million in savings.
- Refreshing the Corning GEM strategy through a broad consultation with industry experts and practitioners to carefully design the next seven to ten years of activity. A new mission, expanded scope, and strategic activities are components of the new strategy that will address energy, water, and other resource savings through product design and production, and employee and customer engagement.
- Aligning with Corning’s Environmental Health & Safety group to address laboratory energy savings through heat recovery, water conservation, and other energy saving practices.
- Focusing on water management and the concurrent energy savings that accompany water usage to save more than 12 million gallons through 35 projects.
- Hosting Industrial Showcases at two plants that achieved the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry recognition to inform suppliers, key state and local officials, and others of the energy accomplishments at the plants.