Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Consumers Energy is Michigan’s largest utility and provides natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million residents, as well as a wide variety of residential and business energy efficiency programs underpinned by ENERGY STAR® resources. Consumers Energy is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its success in expanding delivery of Building Performance with ENERGY STAR, promotion of certified products, Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES), and certified new homes. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Expanding the number of commercial building types eligible to participate in the Building Performance with ENERGY STAR program by including the higher education, healthcare, hospitality, and commercial real estate sectors, in addition to K-12 schools. Fifty-six eligible buildings also obtained ENERGY STAR certifications at no cost through an innovative collaboration with the Michigan Retired Engineer Technical Assistance Program.
- Supporting commercial and industrial customers as they compete in the National and Michigan Battle of the Buildings initiatives, and strive to meet goals set in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry.
- Leveraging EPA tools including Ask the Expert videos, infographics, and campaigns to promote ENERGY STAR certified lighting and appliances to customers. Participating in the ENERGY STAR Brighten a Life campaign, donating more than 75,000 ENERGY STAR certified light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs to recipients through the Feeding America West Michigan Food Bank.
- Supporting the construction of 767 ENERGY STAR certified homes, a 26-percent increase over 2015.
- Invigorating the HPwES program with retooled marketing messages and a mentorship program for mid-level home performance contractors to become top tier contractors.