Columbia Gas of Ohio, Inc. (a NiSource company)
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Columbia Gas of Ohio, Inc. (Columbia Gas) is a natural gas distribution company serving approximately 1.4 million residential, commercial, and industrial customers. The company has partnered with ENERGY STAR® on its energy efficiency programs since 2009. Columbia Gas is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for promoting energy efficiency and supporting the ENERGY STAR residential and certified products programs. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Saving 170,000 million cubic feet of natural gas across multiple ENERGY STAR programs, equivalent to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 10,000 tons of carbon dioxide.
- Paying incentives on nearly 500 ENERGY STAR certified homes, with 67 builders and 14 Home Energy Rating companies enrolled in the program.
- Designing an ENERGY STAR-focused Homeowner Welcome Letter to deliver ENERGY STAR messaging to homeowners, promoting the brand and building awareness.
- Launching a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program to differentiate its home performance program in the market and to encourage multiple-measure projects, while offering an ENERGY STAR certified thermostat with its home energy audits and assessments.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR certified furnaces, boilers, storage tank water heaters and tankless water heaters to achieve natural gas savings and help transform the market for energy efficient products. The program works with more than 180 contractors and distributors, educating them on the benefits of ENERGY STAR certification.
- Being among the first utility partners to require that smart thermostat incentives be exlusively tied to ENERGY STAR, which became eligible for certification in 2017. More than 9,200 smart thermostats were incentivized.