Cherokee County Schools
Murphy, North Carolina
Partner of the Year
Cherokee County Schools (CCS) educates more than 3,000 students and owns more than 650,000 square feet of building space. CCS is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year recognition for its commitment to creating healthy, safe, and environmentally friendly schools as an essential part of achieving a climate for student academic success. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Upgrading all school appliances and equipment, including photocopiers, printers, dishwashers, clothes washers, and air conditioners to ENERGY STAR certified products.
- Communicating the value of ENERGY STAR through the dissemination of pamphlets, displays, and educational materials, as well as at conferences and on the district’s website.
- Replacing all compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs with more energy efficient light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs throughout all of its schools.
- Cumulatively saving more than $1.6 million, equivalent to hiring nearly 50 first-year teachers.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for all schools in the district for two consecutive years.