Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
CEMEX USA is a producer of cement, ready mix concrete, aggregates and other building materials. In 2019, CEMEX's energy management program reduced thermal energy intensity by 2.24 percent, equivalent to avoiding the combustion of 80,795 metric tons of coal. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Creating a CO2 Emissions Dashboard that enables emissions monitoring and regular carbon footprint evaluation.
- Managing the company's carbon footprint and reducing the imbedded energy of cement products through renewable energy, alternative fuels and lowered clinker content.
- Supporting EPA's development of the third ENERGY STAR cement plant energy performance indicator for evaluating U.S. cement plants.
- Achieving ENERGY STAR certification at two cement plants and benchmarking with the corporation's cement plants globally to identify energy performance improvements.
- Establishing key performance indicators and targets for energy efficiency in employees' annual performance objectives.
- Funding $62 million in energy savings projects, including improvements to plant electrical, lighting, mechanical and drive systems. Through 2019, $5.4 million has been invested in variable frequency drives on fans.