Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Celanese Corporation is a producer of specialty materials and chemical products for major industries and consumer applications. The company enhanced its sustainability framework for climate, energy and water while leveraging the ENERGY STAR partnership to improve its corporate wide energy program and projects. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Decreasing absolute energy consumption by more than seven percent and energy intensity by 1.5 percent; energy intensity improved by 16 percent since 2013.
- Completing a renewable energy contract to obtain 70 percent of daylight electrical power needs and approximately 35 percent of total power requirements from solar sources at its Clear Lake, Texas, facility.
- Implementing 130 energy efficiency optimization, capital, and low- and no-cost projects with savings of $9 million. Major projects included commissioning a 3.5 MW combined heat and power unit and completing a waste incinerator heat recovery project.
- Completing a materiality assessment aligned with the UN Sustainability goals that resulted in ten expert committees recommending strategic initiatives including leveraging the energy program to accelerate the company’s climate, water, and waste program.
- Increasing collaboration to share and learn energy management practices within the ENERGY STAR industrial partnership and the collective ENERGY STAR Chemicals and Refining Focus group.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at two sites, speaking and leading a session at the annual ENERGY STAR industrial meeting, and communicating the benefits of energy efficiency to a broad set of audiences.