Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
Celanese Corporation produces specialty materials and chemical products. Since 2015, Celanese has reduced the company's overall energy intensity by 15 percent. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Executing 120 projects with energy savings of $16 million, while the project pipeline is primed through 2022 with $5 million in additional energy project savings.
- Launching the Celanese Energy Training Team to enhance the energy management skills of plant operations staff and an Energy Design Team to ensure the company's capital projects incorporate best practices for energy, water and waste.
- Approving a major expansion of an acetic acid plant where the carbon footprint is improved, embedded energy is reduced, and carbon dioxide is now a recycled input to the final product.
- Building on its comprehensive, worldwide energy management platform with ENERGY STAR to involve its Canadian plants in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry with Natural Resources Canada.
- Engaging the interest of Celanese plants on energy project implementation and development through a corporate-wide competition.
- Incorporating strategic elements in the corporate energy program by using ENERGY STAR's Treasure Hunt Campaign and industrial site engagement tools.
- Working with ENERGY STAR industrial partners to compare and benchmark best energy management practices.