Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company is a producer of cement, concrete, aggregates and asphalt pavement. The company demonstrated industry leadership by mentoring ENERGY STAR industrial partners, supporting the industrial network, and working to promote sustainable operations in the cement, concrete, and asphalt paving industries. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Exploring alternative fuels and low emission feedstock for its cement plants to reduce carbon emissions and provide a line of lower carbon cement products.
- Supporting the ENERGY STAR Industrial partner network by sharing energy management best practices with other companies and assisting the National Asphalt Paving Association and its members to begin development of a specialized ENERGY STAR benchmark for measuring plant energy performance.
- Achieving an energy intensity improvement of 0.4 percent over 2019 despite unusual business conditions. Since 2003, energy intensity has improved by more than 17 percent, saving nearly $149 million and preventing the emissions of 3.3 million tons of CO2.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the Rillito cement plant and achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at six ready mix concrete plants.
- Investing more than $45 million to upgrade on- and off-road vehicles to improve fuel efficiency, constructing the company’s third compressed natural gas (CNG) station, replacing 24 diesel hauler trucks with CNG trucks using renewable natural gas, and conducting a test of a hybrid CNG/electric concrete mixer truck.
- Promoting energy management best practices and increasing energy awareness through an innovative plant efficiency video series under CalPortland’s “Energy in Industry” YouTube channel.