Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence - Energy Management
CalPortland Company is a producer of cement, concrete, aggregates and asphalt pavement in the western United States. Since 2003, CalPortland's energy management efforts have reduced the company's overall energy intensity by 16.5 percent, avoiding $135 million in unnecessary energy costs. Key 2019 accomplishments include:
- Working with the leadership of the national cement, concrete, and asphalt trade associations to increase industry involvement in energy management and ENERGY STAR.
- Advancing energy efficiency and emission reductions through extensive upgrades to the company's mobile fleet, rail operations, and cement plants, amounting to $90 million in capital efficiency projects.
- Reducing the carbon footprint and embedded energy of its cement products by developing blended cements and a natural pozzolan for clinker substitution.
- Incorporating strategic elements in the corporate energy program by using ENERGY STAR's cement plant certification, Challenge for Industry and Treasure Hunt Campaign.
- Focusing on community engagement and in-person education by reaching more than 136,000 individuals on energy management best practices and ENERGY STAR.
- Working with ENERGY STAR industrial partners to compare and benchmark best energy management practices.
- Incorporating energy management and ENERGY STAR into the company's corporate-wide professional development training program through videos, an intranet site, new employee orientation and regular employee engagements.