Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company, founded in 1891, is a major producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western United States and Canada, receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition. In the past year, the company invested over $100 million to improve its operational efficiency to produce an overall energy intensity improvement of over two percent. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Improving energy intensity by 17.5-percent and saving $123 million since 2003.
- Completing construction of a new finish mill at the Oro Grande cement plant to increase utilization and efficiency. Most areas of the plant have been upgraded and optimized, including crushing, raw milling, kiln, finish grinding, transport and cement loadout.
- Constructing two compressed natural gas stations (CNG) to support CalPortland’s new fleet of 118 CNG ready mix trucks. The trucks were customized with near zero emission engines.
- Leveraging the position of CalPortland’s CEO as Chair of the Portland Cement Association to promote and support ENERGY STAR throughout the construction material industry and mentoring more than 11 ENERGY STAR industrial partners.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the seventh consecutive time for the Rillito Cement Plant and for the second time at the Oro Grande Cement Plant while participating in the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR through social media, community outreach, school events, advertisements and magazine articles to reach over 113,000 people, garnering nearly 59 million impressions.