Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company is a producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. The company, founded in 1891, has been an active ENERGY STAR® partner for more than 21 years, promoting ENERGY STAR and good energy management practices throughout the industrial sector and in nearby communities. CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for its unwavering commitment to high-level leadership in energy management throughout the company. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Reaching a 16-percent improvement in 2017 from a baseline year of 2003 for cumulative savings of $109 million.
- Promoting energy management across the U.S. cement industry through the CEO’s leadership of the trade association and an offer of the company’s assistance to others in the industry.
- Earning EPA’s ENERGY STAR plant certification for two cement plants. One plant was a recent purchase and required extensive upgrades.
- Expanding energy management into its fleet of ready mix concrete trucks by 118 units that run on compressed natural gas. The new trucks replaced a diesel fleet and will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 7,435 tons per year.
- Continuing to invest in operations through new plant hardware such as a high efficiency separator for a mill, efficient new equipment to improve raw feed processing, and computational fluid dynamic software to better manage process air and material flows.
- Developing innovative methods for training employees and motivating them to manage energy in their work.
- Conducting outreach to inform employees, more than 106,000 community members, schools, competitors, and others on how they can manage energy and use ENERGY STAR to save money.