Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. CalPortland’s energy program, formed in 2003, continues to expand to cover new areas of the company’s operations. CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for advancing and championing energy management within the U.S. cement industry and among industry broadly. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Decreasing energy intensity by more than one percent in 2015 while integrating a new cement plant into its portfolio of production facilities. The company has improved energy intensity by 15 percent since 2003 for $85 million in savings.
- Leading the cement industry to conduct a finish mill benchmarking study to improve energy efficiency in these critical cement plant units.
- Completing numerous energy projects such as a cement kiln process improvement that uses microscopy to assist plant operators to improve kiln operation and energy consumption and a quarry fuel improvement that optimized rock transport and improved ore retrieval and blending for better kiln operation.
- Sharing its energy management expertise with prospective ENERGY STAR partners to help these companies build energy management programs.
- Challenging the company’s sites to manage energy by taking and completing its corporate-wide energy challenge to save $1 million, achieving ENERGY STAR certification of a cement plant, and taking the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at its aggregate, ready mix concrete, asphalt, and terminal sites.