Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western U.S. and Canada. CalPortland’s energy program has matured significantly since its formation in 2003. CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for the company’s advancement as a global leader in the promotion of best energy management practices throughout industry. Key 2014 accomplishments include:
- Saving 29 billion British thermal units over 2013, and reducing energy intensity by 16 percent since 2003. Cumulative energy reductions have amounted to $73.1 million.
- Achieving CalPortland’s President’s 2014 $1 Million Energy Savings Challenge which motivated all employees to implement energy-saving ideas.
- Developing an innovative company-wide concrete truck fuel efficiency program with fuel control stations, realtime truck production management systems, new technologies, and improvement of driver habits and truck management.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR globally through CalPortland's leadership positions in industry associations, by making presentations on behalf of ENERGY STAR throughout the United States and internationally, and by directly mentoring ENERGY STAR partners.
- Engineering a clinker cooler replacement project at the Rillito cement plant with expected energy savings of over $2.6 million per year.
- Leveraging strategic communications on energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR for over 6.3 million advertising impressions, 530,000 website visits, and outreach to over 124,000 members of surrounding communities.