The Boeing Company
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
The Boeing Company is a manufacturer of commercial jetliners and defense, space, and security systems. The company has increased investment in its energy program and reaped continued savings. Boeing is receiving ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence recognition for surpassing its five-year environmental targets for energy, water and greenhouse gas emissions despite production increases. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy use by 2.5 percent, greenhouse gas emissions by 4.8 percent, and water by 16 percent from a baseline year of 2012.
- Winning the ENERGY STAR Battle of the Buildings from a pool of 800 entrants by reducing energy use by 26 percent in its Renton, Washington office building.
- Implementing a centralized enterprise funding model that provided a dedicated pool of money – with $1 million in seed funding to begin, to supplement high-return energy efficiency projects, achieving 1,500 megawatt hours in savings to date.
- Enhancing the STEM curriculum in nearby schools by teaching energy management to the next generation of potential employees and creating other learning opportunities for local middle school students and company interns.
- Conducting energy treasure hunts at manufacturing facilities to identify energy projects worth over $5 million and 64,000 dekatherms in savings.
- Hosting an environmental delegation from China and sharing an overview of Boeing’s energy conservation success with visiting Chinese government officials.
- Reducing water consumption by more than 22 million gallons per year at the Everett, WA facility by implementing a vacuum pump cooling water recirculation project.