Bimbo Bakeries USA
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) is a baking company whose brands include Thomas’, Sara Lee, Entenmanns, Arnold, and more. BBU achieved a five percent improvement in energy intensity over 2019 and a 1.9 percent reduction in absolute energy consumption over 2019, marking five consecutive years of improvement in energy performance. Key 2020 accomplishments include:
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification of 16 commercial bread and roll bakeries, the most certifications by any industrial company in a single year. One bakery was certified in Canada for the first time.
- Achieving the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at Bimbo’s bakery in Escondido, California, which was recognized as the Green Plant of Year by Food Processing Magazine.
- Encouraging the baking industry and the distilled spirits industries to manage energy through targeted outreach and communications including presentations, articles on BBU’s energy management and carbon reduction efforts, and press releases.
- Piloting electric vehicles to understand how BBU’s routes could be electrified, resulting in 100 additional electric vehicles ordered for delivery in 2021. The electric vehicles will join a fleet of over 500 vehicles powered by compressed natural gas and propane.
- Promoting energy efficiency to customers through messaging on Thomas’ English Muffins packaging.