Bimbo Bakeries USA
Partner of the Year
Bimbo Bakeries USA is a baking company whose brands include Thomas, Sara Lee, Orowheat, Arnold, and Nature’s Harvest, receiving Partner of the Year recognition. The company seeks to build a sustainable and productive energy program and uses ENERGY STAR guidance and tools to continue to lead the U.S. baking sector in energy management. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Expanding its portfolio of ENERGY STAR certified bakeries to 14, the most in the baking sector and for any one company in the industrial sector.
- Maintaining an energy savings trend by achieving a one percent reduction in energy intensity in 2018 to contribute to a four percent improvement since 2015.
- Expanding the use of bio‐digesters to three bakeries that provide roughly one megawatt of electrical power.
- Committing to a virtual power purchase agreement that will produce the equivalent of the company’s electrical usage from wind power by 2020 and reduce 260,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent annually.
- Conducting energy treasure hunts using ENERGY STAR guidance at 75 percent of its bakeries where over $3 million in energy savings were identified with payback periods of under two years.
- Launching a customer-focused smartphone app that provides consumers with product-based sustainability information and highlights the company’s involvement with ENERGY STAR.