Baltimore Gas Electric
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) is the largest utility in Maryland, serving more than 1.25 million electricity customers and more than 655,000 gas customers. BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program offers residential energy efficiency solutions that leverage ENERGY STAR® certified products, new homes, and Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES). BGE launched its residential energy efficiency programs in 2009, and, along with other utilities supporting EmPOWER Maryland, is making great strides toward achieving energy efficiency goals. BGE is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its successful certified homes, products, HPwES, and commercial and industrial programs. Key 2015 accomplishments include:
- Yielding 176.5 million media impressions through its program outreach, for a cumulative total of 2.3 billion impressions since 2009.
- Incentivizing more than 1,900 ENERGY STAR certified homes and multifamily units, bringing the program total to over 12,000.
- Driving the market for ENERGY STAR certified products through its Lighting and Appliance and HVAC Programs, complemented by its partnership with ENERGY STAR’s sister program the Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) Program. In 2015, BGE’s portfolio featured a wide range of ENERGY STAR certified products, including hybrid heat pump water heaters, pool pumps and ductless multi-zone HVAC units. In 2015, BGE leveraged its partnerships with 305 retail stores and more than 326 HVAC contractors and major manufacturers to deliver more than 96,000 MWh in energy savings.
- Aggressively pursuing increased consumer awareness through a range of outreach efforts including broadcast television spots, cinema advertising, radio, bill inserts and postcards, and outdoor, digital, and email advertising. Together, these efforts garnered over 126 million impressions. Outreach dedicated to its HVAC program alone earned BGE more than 15 million additional impressions in 2015.
- Developing and launching the Automated Benchmarking Tool (ABT) to drive commercial building benchmarking activity by sending data from BGE directly to customers’ ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager® accounts to help generate a 1-100 ENERGY STAR Score.
- Collaborating with other Maryland utilities and industry stakeholders to advance the EmPower Maryland HPwES program. In 2015, BGE launched a creative new campaign focusing on HPwES as “The Big Way” customers can save money and energy. The campaign incorporated the ENERGY STAR brand while appealing to social norms and included information about rebates and energy savings.