Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BG&E)
Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BG&E), a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation, is Maryland’s largest utility and currently provides service to more than 1.25 million electric and 655,000 gas customers. Since 2009, BG&E has offered energy efficiency programs that serve all customers under its BG&E Smart Energy Savers Program®. These programs leverage ENERGY STAR® in their design and promotion. BG&E is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year—Sustained Excellence recognition for its successful Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) program and leadership in promoting ENERGY STAR across its portfolio. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Adopting indoor air quality standards that require HPwES participating contractors to take indoor air quality into consideration for every measure installed, helping to improve contractor and consumer understanding of indoor air quality and the importance of mechanical ventilation.
- Shifting the HPwES program from a cost-based to a performance-based incentive structure, an innovative concept designed to increase confidence in and value of energy savings.
- Completing over 3,700 comprehensive residential audits and 1,175 jobs in 2016, bringing the program total to over 16,000 audits and 6,400 jobs.
- Incentivizing 2,050 ENERGY STAR certified homes and multifamily units, bringing the program total to more than 14,000.
- Enabling commercial building energy performance benchmarking using Portfolio Manager by providing data through its automated benchmarking tool, and supporting critical steps to improve performance with through the Building Tune-up program.
- Effectively promoting ENERGY STAR certified products across a wide variety of residential and commercial product categories, including appliances, lighting, and commercial food service equipment. Through marketing, outreach, and incentives the sale of more than 2.5 million ENERGY STAR certified lighting products, 6,400 appliances and 9,400 heating and cooling products were influenced by the program in 2016, bringing the program total to more than 25 million products since 2009.