Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Austin Energy is a municipal electric utility receiving Partner of the Year-Sustained Excellence recognition. Austin Energy has demonstrated leadership among Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) partners and is advancing the energy efficiency field, focusing on improving the quality of HVAC installations to address proper sizing, air flow, duct sealing, air balancing, and refrigerant charge. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
- Completing 848 projects and achieving 1,526 kilowatts (kW)of gross energy savings; an additional 809 projects and 796 kW in gross energy savings were completed in the low-income program.
- Implementing a marketing strategy with market segmentation for customers most likely to participate, including digital, print, radio, out-of-home and television advertising as well as two targeted mailings, two targeted emails, and dynamic website content.
- Adding air-conditioning tune-up measures and direct install offerings to the HPwES program. To generate leads for residential programs, direct install kits with ENERGY STAR LED bulbs, water saving devices, and educational materials were provided at community outreach events.
- Offering scheduled and on-demand trainings for contractors, emphasizing code requirements, building science, HVAC quality installation, weatherization techniques, duct system design and modification, quality assurance and control (QA/QC), sales techniques, and customer service.
- Performing inspections on all HPwES jobs and using a third-party to perform QA/QC inspections for a statically valid sample of the projects.
- Offering an additional $200 from Austin Energy, a $200 discount from the participating contractor, and a $200 discount from the HVAC equipment manufacturer to HPwES customers.