Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Austin Energy is the third largest municipally-owned electric utility in the United States, currently serving more than 448,000 customers in a city with approximately one million residents. Austin Energy has offered a whole house energy-efficiency program since 1982 and has been a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) partner since 2004. Austin Energy is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year–Sustained Excellence for its consistent HPwES leadership and for providing residential utility customers with comprehensive energy efficiency improvements. Key 2017 accomplishments include:
- Transitioning the Weatherization Assistance Program into a HPwES program for low-income customers in order to provide consistently branded services to all income segments and the trust, quality, and comprehensive approach of HPwES to more customers.
- Using HPwES to lower the residential demand on Austin Energy’s grid by 1,748 kilowatts, delaying the need for acquiring expensive power generation.
- Implementing a marketing campaign that includes digital, print, radio, and television advertising directing homeowners to a redesigned website with improved navigation.
- Eliminating carbon dioxide emissions by 1,152 metric tons, nitrogen oxides by 0.80 metric tons, sulfur dioxide by 0.73 metric tons, and carbon monoxide by 0.56 metric tons.
- Achieving a 92 percent customer satisfaction rate for HPwES contractors and a 92 percent customer satisfaction rate for Austin Energy rebates.
- Partnering with Texas Gas Service and Velocity Credit Union to provide rebates for 761 HPwES projects; the fund provides 3.99 percent financing for HPwES projects.