Partner of the Year
Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Austin Energy is the third largest municipally-owned electric utility in the United States, currently serving more than 448,000 customer accounts in a city with approximately 1 million residents. Austin has offered whole house energy-efficiency programs since 1982 and has been a Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) partner since 2004. Austin Energy is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its leadership in energy efficiency and commitment to HPwES. Key 2016 accomplishments include:
- Implementing a marketing campaign focused on educating customers about building science, and explaining the benefits of completing improvements at the same time.
- Conducting focus groups of actual and potential customers to determine program awareness, potential interest in the program, barriers to participation, marketing preferences, and quality of information provided by participating contractors.
- Lowering the demand on Austin Energy’s grid by 1400 kilowatts (kW), moving the city one step closer towards its goal of saving 900 megawatts (MW) by 2025.
- Partnering with Velocity Credit Union to substantially lower its HPwES program interest rate from 3.99 percent to 1.99 percent and lowering the minimum qualifying credit score to 600.
- Providing technical training to partnering heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) contractors on duct system improvements. This focus has exponentially improved the quality of work for the entire HVAC industry in Austin.
- Integrating the HPwES program in the Austin real estate market and local requirements for energy audits for all homes prior to sale.