Arizona Public Service
Partner of the Year - Energy Efficiency Program Delivery
Arizona Public Service (APS) is an electric utility serving central Arizona. Over the past year, APS continued to promote energy efficiency through ENERGY STAR® with offerings across multiple program areas, while managing demand and reducing lifetime carbon dioxide emissions by 2.3 billion pounds. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Developing a customer-centric strategy to deliver 100% clean, carbon-free electricity by 2050 through load shifting, energy storage, beneficial electrification, and consumer tools.
- Supporting the construction of more than 6,000 certified homes and achieving a 45% market share for ENERGY STAR single-family homes across its service territory.
- Designing an initiative for Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) contractors to install free smart thermostats pre-programmed to align with time-of-use rates, reducing residential energy use during peak demand and enhancing opportunities for contractors to engage with customers.
- Increasing participation in the HPwES program by identifying likely candidates for deep retrofits, based on high air conditioning use in the summer and costly heating bills in the winter.
- Incentivizing the purchase of about 40,000 ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostats and pre-enrolling 97% of customers in its Cool Rewards demand response program, which operates as a virtual power plant and provides more than 80 megawatts of flexible clean capacity in its fourth year of operation.