Appalachian Power Company
Charleston, West Virginia
Excellence Awards - ENERGY STAR Marketing
Appalachian Power is an electric utility in Virginia and West Virginia. The utility’s comprehensive marketing efforts effectively increased consumer awareness of ENERGY STAR® certified products, while promoting cost-saving initiatives to achieve ambitious energy-saving goals. Key 2021 accomplishments include:
- Driving ENERGY STAR product sales through numerous outreach channels, including in-store point-of-purchase materials, postcards featuring retailers with incentives on ENERGY STAR certified products, and digital marketing, including social media, and monthly e-newsletters.
- Conducting training at more than 350 retail locations and 275 outreach events, promoting the features and benefits of ENERGY STAR certified products, along with weatherization items and general tips to make homes more energy efficient.
- Facilitating home upgrades among customers across Virginia and West Virginia, including ENERGY STAR certified air-source heat pumps, ductless mini-splits, smart thermostats, and insulation, as well as certified LED bulbs achieving more than 9 million kwh of energy savings through November of 2021.
- Implementing new customer portals where customers can track their personalized energy savings journey in the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR program, find participating retailers, and submit applications for ENERGY STAR certified appliances. The websites also provide energy-saving educational resources, including the ENERGY STAR “Ways to Save Tips,” the ENERGY STAR Pledge, and links to additional energystar.gov content.
- Providing energy-efficiency opportunities to underserved customers by partnering with retailers to offer incentives on weatherization products, as well as ENERGY STAR lighting incentives at local dollar/hardware stores. More than 450,000 LEDs were sold to customers at these locations who otherwise may not have had the ability to purchase these products, resulting in more than 17 million in collective kWh savings.