Energy efficient fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR offer shorter cook times and higher production rates through advanced burner and heat exchanger designs. Fry pot insulation reduces standby losses resulting in a lower idle energy rate. Large vat fryers are used in a variety of high-volume food establishments including fast food and full service restaurants, grocery and retail, and institutional kitchens.
Standard sized fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 30 percent more energy efficient than standard models and large vat commercial fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 35 percent more energy efficient than non-qualified models.
A standard sized electric or gas fryer model that has earned the ENERGY STAR can save 1,100 kWh/year or 50 MBtu/year in energy, respectively. This equates to a savings of $100 and $470 annually on your utility bill. ENERGY STAR qualified large vat electric and gas commercial fryers can save 1,790 kWh/year and 58 MBtu/year in energy, respectively. This equates to a savings of $170 and $500 annually on your utility bill.
- ENERGY STAR Guide for Restaurants (1.1MB)
- Equipment Savings Fact Sheet (1.17MB)
- Austin Public Schools Case Study (884KB)
- Saratoga Restaurant Equipment Sales Case Study (203KB)
- Kessenich’s Ltd. Case Study (192KB)
Current Specification Effective Date: April 2011
- Fryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR are up to 35 percent more energy efficient than standard models.
- Fryers (both large vat and standard sizes) that earn the ENERGY STAR must meet a minimum cooking efficiency of 50 percent (gas) and 80 percent (electric) while also meeting a maximum idle energy rate.
What else should I look for when buying a commercial fryer?
For a list of ENERGY STAR partners that sell ENERGY STAR qualified equipment, see Where to Buy.
For a list of CFS incentives, please see either the CFS Incentive Guide or the ENERGY STAR CFS Incentive Finder.
The ENERGY STAR CFS Incentive Finder displays utility incentives for ENERGY STAR qualified commercial food service equipment.
The CFS Incentive Guide is an excel spreadsheet that includes incentives for both ENERGY STAR qualified equipment and energy efficient equipment not covered by the ENERGY STAR program.