Commercial Food Service Equipment for Businesses and Operatorsfor Consumers
About Commercial Food Service Equipment (CFS)
Commercial food service equipment is found in restaurants, hotels, hospitals or any building with a cafeteria. These facilities consume about 5 to 7 times more energy per square foot than other commercial buildings, like office buildings and retail stores.
No wonder looking beyond the sticker price when purchasing commercial food service equipment is important for café, restaurant, and institutional kitchen operators!
Why ENERGY STAR?The ENERGY STAR program helps café, restaurant, and institutional kitchen operators save energy and money on utility bills by identifying energy efficient equipment. Purchasing ENERGY STAR certified CFS equipment can cut kitchen utility costs and maintenance without sacrificing features, quality, or style.
Save Energy. Save Money. Use ENERGY STAR.
Saving energy helps consumers save money on utility bills and protect the climate by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The following equipment is ENERGY STAR certified:
- Commercial dishwashers – Many ENERGY STAR dishwashers have water and energy conserving features such as improved nozzles, rinse arm design and heat recovery.
- Commercial hot food holding cabinets – An insulated ENERGY STAR holding cabinet is approximately 70 percent more energy efficient than a standard model.
- Commercial fryers – Through oil conservation and management ENERGY STAR fryers may offer shorter cook times and improved ease of cleaning.
- Commercial griddles – Some benefits of ENERGY STAR griddles include improved uniformity of temperature across the griddle plate and a higher production capacity.
- Commercial steam cookers – ENERGY STAR certified steamers have a sealed cooking cavity that consumes 60 percent less energy than a traditional open design system.
- Commercial ovens – ENERGY STAR certified ovens use technical approaches that can lead to more uniform cooking processes.
- Commercial refrigerators and freezers – Compared to standard models, ENERGY STAR refrigerators and freezers emit less heat into the kitchen.
- Commercial ice makers – Technologies used in ENERGY STAR ice makers can result in longer product lifetimes and quicker ice harvesting than standard machines.
- Commercial water heaters – Can save a full service restaurant about $1,500 per year.
Additionally, a WaterSense labeled commercial Pre-Rinse Spray Valve (PRSV) is one of the most cost-effective energy- and water-saving devices available to a food service operator. Kitchens can save more than 7,000 gallons of water per year – equivalent to washing about 5,000 racks of dishes.
Share Your Story
Do you know an organization who has achieved results with ENERGY STAR CFS equipment?
Inspire others and share your story today! "Share Your Story" Recognition
Get Inspired! Check out these Success Stories
Energy Efficient Program Sponsors
- National Grid Commercial Kitchen Efficiency Program Case Study (PDF, 593.45 KB)
- CFS Program Administrator Guide for Utilities (PDF, 1.44 MB)
For a list of CFS incentives, please see either the CFS Incentive Guide or the ENERGY STAR CFS Incentive Finder:
- TheCFS Incentive Guide (EXCEL, 1.24 MB)provides a list of incentives for both ENERGY STAR certified equipment and energy efficient equipment not covered by the ENERGY STAR program.
- The CFS Incentive Finder is available for ENERGY STAR CFS utility incentives by location.