ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
As Michigan’s largest utility, Consumers Energy provides natural gas and electricity to 6.6 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. Consumers Energy brings together a wide variety of residential, commercial, and industrial energy efficiency offerings underpinned by ENERGY STAR certified products, building construction, and operational standards. Consumers Energy is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its successful delivery of the HPwES program in a mature market. Consumers Energy also promotes ENERGY STAR certified products, commercial and industrial initiatives, and ENERGY STAR certified homes. Key accomplishments include:
- Completing more than 1,950 HPwES projects by using a market segmentation approach to identify homeowners best positioned to move forward with deep energy savings improvements.
- Increasing homeowner demand for HPwES services by creating the Home Energy Analysis program, a qualifying step for HPwES that improves customer experience, engages homeowners in the whole-house approach to home performance, and connects homeowners with qualified home performance contractors.
- Working with more than 400 retailers across Michigan to promote ENERGY STAR certified lighting products and distributing 100,000 ENERGY STAR certified light bulbs to those in need through partnerships with local food banks.
- Achieving 415 homes built to the ENERGY STAR Version 3 specification in the second year of the Residential New Construction program.
- Developing a relationship with the Michigan Association of Realtors to bring the value of ENERGY STAR to Michigan’s economy.
- Improving K-12 school buildings in 19 districts across Michigan through Consumers Energy’s Building Performance with ENERGY STAR for K-12 Schools pilot program. The pilot overcame common barriers to energy efficiency by following a strategic approach to energy management that emphasized creating energy teams, benchmarking, and supporting action planning.
- Incorporating the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry into Consumers Energy’s efforts to engage industrial customers. This collaboration allows customers to take advantage of both ENERGY STAR and Consumers Energy’s resources, providing customers with training, analyses of energy management systems, action plan development, implementation assistance, and financial incentives.