Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco)
Washington, District of Columbia
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
Pepco has been providing electric service to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area for 117 years. The company is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its energy efficiency programming in its Maryland service territory, which includes Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties. Pepco launched its residential energy efficiency programs in Maryland in 2010 and is making great strides towards meeting or exceeding its EmPOWER Maryland energy efficiency goals, crediting much of its success to effectively leveraging the powerful ENERGY STAR brand in program delivery. Key accomplishments in 2013 include:
- Promoting a diverse array of ENERGY STAR certified lighting products including standard and specialty CFL and LED bulbs and fixtures, helping generate the sale of nearly 1.5 million ENERGY STAR certified bulbs in 2013.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR certified appliances, including clothes washers, refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners, hybrid water heaters, and heating and cooling equipment, to generate sales of more than 17,000 ENERGY STAR certified products, saving nearly 4,800 MWh.
- Helping its customers responsibly recycle more than 2,700 refrigerators, freezers, and/or room air conditioners in accordance with best practices established by EPA’s Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) program.
- Exceeding the previous year’s program savings and participation levels by completing more than 900 Home Performance with ENERGY STAR projects to generate a total of 2200 MWh in savings.
- Increasing consumer awareness of the ENERGY STAR label and the benefits of purchasing ENERGY STAR certified products—achieving more than 34 million impressions through social media, print, and direct mail advertisement.