ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western United States and Canada. CalPortland continues to take energy management to new levels as it celebrates the 10-year anniversary of establishing a formal energy program. CalPortland is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for continued pursuit of energy management within its organization and support of the ENERGY STAR partnership. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy intensity by nearly two percent compared to 2012, resulting in 0.13 trillion Btu in savings. This amounts to a reduction of 12,586 metric tons of CO2 emissions. Since 2005, cumulative reductions in energy intensity of nearly 14 percent have saved over $52 million.
- Launching the company president's $1 Million Dollar Energy Savings Challenge company-wide. The initiative solicits energy savings ideas from employees and rewards the best energy ideas and implementation of projects at plants.
- Completing a $6.2 million gas conditioning tower project at the Mojave Cement Plant, reducing energy consumption by 15.7 million kWh per year and producing annual savings of $1.25 million.
- Aggressively promoting ENERGY STAR and energy management to the cement, ready-mixed concrete, and aggregates industries, from direct company mentoring to executive participation in industry association events.
- Launching a major purchasing campaign to work with vendors to improve store room inventories with emphasis on energy-efficient spare parts.
- Engaging 17 sites in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry, including asphalt, aggregate, terminals, and ready-mixed concrete facilities.