Winston Salem, North Carolina
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Hanesbrands Inc. is a leading marketer of everyday basic apparel under some of the world's strongest brands, including Hanes, Champion, Playtex, Bali, Maidenform, Flexees, JMS/Just My Size, barely there, Wonderbra, and Gear for Sports. Hanes has approximately 49,700 employees in more than 25 countries. The company focuses on energy management and sustainability across its global operations and entire value chain. Hanesbrands is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for strong integration of energy efficiency and sustainability. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Improving energy intensity by 1.4 percent and CO2 emissions intensity by 1.5 percent. Since 2007, the company has advanced energy intensity by more than 21 percent.
- Integrating the energy management program into a comprehensive sustainability management system, bringing together management of energy, environment, and product development into one program. The program focuses on conserving natural resources and reducing environmental impacts.
- Launching a global process sustainability program to assess conformance to standards and drive operational excellence. EPA’s ENERGY STAR Program Assessment Matrix formed the foundation for the energy portion of the standards.
- Initiating a formal best management practice program, cataloguing projects by operation to ensure proven energy reduction projects are implemented across the supply chain network.
- Conducting an annual supplier summit to align suppliers’ energy and environmental management efforts with its sustainability initiative. Eighty-one key suppliers benchmarked with Hanesbrands and identified best practices in energy management, environmental management, and other areas of corporate social responsibility.
- Highlighting its partnership with ENERGY STAR through new multimedia campaigns aimed at employees, consumers, vendors, and business/industrial leaders; efforts resulted in more than 245 million impressions.