North Penn School District
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
North Penn School District serves more than 12,500 students and encompasses two million square feet of space across 18 schools and two administrative buildings. An active ENERGY STAR partner, the district is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its aggressive, no-capital expense energy management program focused on improving district-wide energy efficiency and educating students on the value of saving energy. The successes were achieved by harnessing the talents and energy of all employees and students to take both individual steps and set specific goals to reduce energy consumption. Key accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $3.2 million in utility costs since the inception of its energy programs in 2008.
- Achieving 1–100 ENERGY STAR scores of 75 or higher for all 20 buildings in its portfolio, with 12 buildings achieving scores between 90–100. Each building has also maintained a score of 75 or higher from the first year it earned ENERGY STAR certification.
- Engaging more than 3,000 students in the district’s energy management program in 2012–2013, through a grant-funded program called PowerSave Schools offered by the Alliance to Save Energy. Students launched awareness campaigns, prepared websites, performed energy audits, interpreted data, made recommendations, and developed award methods for good energy practices.
- Delivering more than 10 presentations outlining the importance of energy management in K-12 public schools and the benefit of using ENERGY STAR tools and resources to advance energy management programs.
- Educating the community on the benefits of energy management programs in annual reports, school-based calendars, and media outlets.