New York, New York
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
TIAA-CREF is one of the largest institutional real estate investors in the United States. TIAA-CREF's investments include more than 32 million square feet of Class A office space, 13,200 multifamily units, five million square feet of retail properties, and investments in additional forms of real estate. TIAA-CREF is committed to achieving property-level energy goals annually, and has set a portfolio-wide goal to reduce its energy consumption by 20 percent by 2020. TIAA-CREF is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its dedication to superior energy management across its portfolio. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking the energy and water use of 100 percent of its office, multifamily, and wholly owned retail portfolios in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager; working with each management team to develop a target ENERGY STAR score and providing recommended energy and water efficiency measures, technical guidance, and support for implementation.
- Participating in several international programs to develop standard benchmarking protocols to drive improved operating efficiency and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 476 buildings since 1999. In 2013 alone, TIAA-CREF received certifications for 55 buildings.
- Establishing and documenting energy- and water-saving opportunities for each office, multifamily community, and wholly owned retail property using the Global Real Estate Sustainability Initiative throughout 2013.
- Promoting ENERGY STAR broadly by the use of quarterly reports, communications with third-party property managers and building engineers, giveaways to tenants, participation in real estate industry groups, and partnerships with organizations working to promote environmentally and socially responsible real estate investments.