Des Moines Public School District
Des Moines, Iowa
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Des Moines Public Schools (DMPS) is the largest public school district in Iowa. DMPS was established more than 100 years ago and educates a diverse student body of more than 32,000 students. DMPS partners with ENERGY STAR to promote energy efficiency awareness and education to students, faculty and staff members, and the greater community. DMPS is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to demonstrating environmental and financial stewardship through comprehensive energy management, based on ENERGY STAR best practices. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Saving more than $870,000 in avoided energy costs as compared to the 2012 fiscal year through operational changes and cost-effective upgrades, such as installing energy-efficient lighting and software that automatically turns off all of the district’s more than 15,000 computers.
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification for 56 out of 67 buildings DMPS benchmarked in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.
- Publishing a monthly Energy Report Card that provides education to staff members, students, and the community about energy performance, conservation tips, classroom educational opportunities, and ENERGY STAR materials.
- Educating students across all grade levels on the importance of energy conservation and sustainability through programs such as the Iowa Energy and Sustainability Academy. The Academy is a cutting-edge high school program that promotes environmental and sustainability-related education and career paths.
- Modeling responsible energy behavior by participating in initiatives such as the ENERGY STAR Challenge. Additionally, several schools in the district participated in EPA’s ENERGY STAR National Building Competition.