Illinois Energy Office at the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, in collaboration with the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, funds a statewide HPwES program called Illinois Home Performance. The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its successful implementation of the HPwES program in an established market. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Completing more than 1,700 projects through Illinois Home Performance, with every project estimated to save at least 15 percent in energy savings.
- Issuing 1,738 Gold or Silver Illinois Home Performance Certificates, an official home improvement record integrated with Illinois’ local Multiple Listing Service Midwest Real Estate Data to recognize homes achieving 15 or 20 percent energy savings.
- Partnering with investor-owned utilities, cooperative utilities, and nonprofit organizations across the state to implement and promote Illinois Home Performance to homeowners and home performance contractors.
- Engaging industry professionals to design continuing education courses that will support an infrastructure of trained real estate brokers, managing brokers, and appraisers in Illinois who are knowledgeable about recent innovations in the residential energy efficiency market and the process of designating value for common energy upgrade measures.
- Providing low-cost, one-day trainings for 220 contractors, focusing on topics such as advanced air sealing techniques, diagnostic energy testing, and marketing strategies, and offering participating contractors in Illinois Home Performance no-cost access to its 24-hour building science hotline.