Kohls Department Stores, Inc.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc. is a family-focused, value-oriented specialty department store that operates more than 1,158 stores in 49 states. Kohl’s is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to seeking innovative solutions to reducing energy use while demonstrating the value of environmental stewardship to customers and the general public. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Pursuing certification of stores. In 2013, Kohl’s achieved its 817th ENERGY STAR certification.
- Improving weather normalized source energy use by 3 percent.
- Focusing on achieving energy savings through operations, including replacing three lamp parabolic sales floor fixtures with two lamp parabolic fixtures in 25 stores, and replacing three lamp parabolic fixtures with LED lighting at 22 stores.
- Using social media, internal and external web sites, and innovative educational tactics to engage employees and customers and raise awareness of energy efficiency and Kohl’s partnership with ENERGY STAR.
- Presenting the ENERGY STAR message to industry peers at seven conferences and professional meetings throughout the year.