Eastman Chemical Company
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Eastman Chemical Company is a global specialty chemical company that manufactures and markets a broad range of products found in items people use every day. Eastman Chemical is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for the richness of its energy management program and the continued support of its ENERGY STAR partnership. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Improving energy intensity by nearly three percent, equating to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of 310 million pounds. Since 2008, Eastman has improved intensity by nearly eight percent, resulting in $25 million saved through its energy program.
- Integrating nine newly acquired sites into the corporate energy program.
- Working within the company’s energy value chain to educate suppliers and customers on energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR, as well as conducting sustainability audits of 27 strategic suppliers.
- Institutionalizing the use of “Energy Briefs” to increase awareness of energy management at the project research and project design phases.
- Growing the corporate capital energy budget to $8 million and allocating a $3.5 million expense budget for energy efficiency improvements. More than $2.5 million of the expense budget was spent repairing steam leaks, which averaged a six-month payback.
- Raising energy awareness among a broad audience through energy fairs, school outreach, green teams, partnerships with the Tennessee Energy Education Initiative and the Boys and Girls Club of Kingsport, Tennessee.