Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE)
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Constellation Energy/Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE) is the largest utility in Maryland, serving more than 1.2 million electricity customers and more than 650,000 gas customers. BGE’s Smart Energy Savers Program offers residential energy efficiency solutions that leverage ENERGY STAR certified products, new homes, and HPwES. BGE launched its residential energy efficiency programs in 2010 and, along with other utilities supporting EmPOWER Maryland, is making great strides towards achieving energy efficiency goals. BGE is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued success in leveraging ENERGY STAR messaging to highlight quality and help customers identify efficient products and new homes. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Providing incentives for more than 2,075 ENERGY STAR certified homes, for a total of more than 6,980 certified homes since the inception of the program and savings of 11,806 MWh.
- Helping generate the sale of more than 2.6 million ENERGY STAR certified lighting products, 43,000 appliances, and 9,000 central heating and cooling products in 2013, for a total of more than 14 million certified products since program inception, with cumulative savings of more than 800,000 MWh.
- Helping its customers responsibly recycle more than 6,600 refrigerators, freezers, and/or room air conditioners in 2013 using best practices established by EPA’s Responsible Appliance Disposal (RAD) program.
- Increasing its HPwES production by 11 percent through development of its participating contractor workforce. BGE instituted minimum assessment and project completion requirements; invested in online and classroom training; developed quarterly contractor report cards, and provided account management and technical support.
- Integrating energy performance benchmarking into their enhanced operations and maintenance and retrocommissioning services programs, as well as educating customers on the importance of continual benchmarking to ensure consistent performance improvement.