Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Saint-Gobain manufactures a range of building products, high-performance materials, and glass containers at more than 130 plants throughout North America. The company also distributes building materials through 120 outlets in the United States. Saint-Gobain businesses include ADFORS, CertainTeed, Norandex Building Materials Distribution, Meyer Decorative Surfaces, Saint-Gobain Abrasives, Saint-Gobain Ceramic Materials, Saint-Gobain Crystals, Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics, and Verallia North America. Saint-Gobain is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for sustained growth and continuous improvement of energy management across its operations. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy intensity by two percent, an amount equivalent to the energy required to produce insulation for about 100,000 typical homes. Since 2008, the company has improved energy intensity by 17 percent.
- Ensuring the continuity of the corporate energy program by quickly promoting a divisional energy champion to replace the long-standing energy manager who transferred from the company. As a result, the energy program made a smooth transition and energy performance continued to improve.
- Championing ENERGY STAR throughout the United States as a proven resource for industrial energy efficiency among manufacturing communities, state energy offices, schools, and other audiences.
- Expanding the Saint-Gobain energy culture beyond internal operations and engineering to integrate suppliers through a supplier charter and responsible purchasing programs. Saint-Gobain performs third-party verifications and audits of compliance with the charter.
- Earning two new ENERGY STAR certifications for glass container plants in 2013, bringing the total number of plants achieving certifications since 2010 to seven. To date, Verallia North America is the only glass producer in the United States to achieve ENERGY STAR certification.