Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville provides an opportunity for people to purchase high-quality, affordable homes and has promoted the construction of ENERGY STAR® certified homes since 2006. By partnering selectively with vendors offering ENERGY STAR certified products and equipment, Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville supports ENERGY STAR while helping homeowners save on monthly utility bills. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued leadership in protecting the environment and providing truly affordable housing to low-income families through energy efficiency. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Building 38 new, affordable, ENERGY STAR certified single-family homes for 149 family members—bringing the total number of certified homes to 314.
- Improving energy efficiency, as well as reducing greenhouse gas emissions, by 42 percent compared to non-ENERGY STAR certified homes of equal size and type.
- Enabling each family to own an ENERGY STAR certified home and to save approximately $840 in utility expenses on average each year. Monthly utility bills average about $80 for a 1,100-square-foot ENERGY STAR certified home.
- Educating thousands of volunteers about ENERGY STAR, as well as informing homeowners about sustainable living and the importance of ongoing home maintenance through its HomeWORKS educational program.
- Pursuing every opportunity to incorporate the ENERGY STAR logo and information about ENERGY STAR certified homes into its outreach and promotional materials, including all newsletters, brochures, dedication programs, grant proposals, and the organization website.