Corning, New York
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
Corning Incorporated, a world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creates and manufactures keystone components that enable high-technology systems for consumer electronics, mobile emissions control, telecommunications, and life sciences. Corning is receiving ENERGY STAR recognition for its extensive integration of energy management, environmental performance, and greenhouse gas emission control into its business strategy. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Achieving a 7.5-percent improvement in corporate energy productivity in 2013 and a nearly 21-percent improvement since 2007.
- Utilizing EPA’s ENERGY STAR Energy Strategy for the Road Ahead, Program Assessment Matrix, Guidelines for Energy Management, and broad industrial partner network to build a world-class energy program that has accrued cumulative savings of $256 million since Corning became an ENERGY STAR partner.
- Participating actively in EPA’s ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Glass Manufacturing.
- Using leading techniques to enable greater implementation of energy projects, including a capital pool of funding and compensation tied to energy performance.
- Motivating improvement at 33 of its industrial sites by taking EPA’s ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry, a commitment to achieve a 10-percent reduction in energy intensity in five years or less.
- Mobilizing the Corning workforce through targeted communication about energy efficiency and ENERGY STAR by way of the company’s intranet site, Corning World Television system, newsletters, meetings, Earth Day, and other company events.