Vornado Realty Trust
New York, New York
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
Vornado Realty Trust, a fully integrated Real Estate Investment Trust with more than 100 million square feet of property, is one of the largest owners and managers of commercial real estate in the United States. Vornado is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for its sophisticated and strategic approach to energy management—an approach that uses the power of data, innovative technology, and a comprehensive outreach and communications platform. Key 2013 accomplishments include:
- Establishing a stand-alone energy efficiency budget through its Energy Efficiency Capex program, allowing Vornado to have focused projects on the implementation of variable frequency drives, high efficiency controls, and LED lighting. These projects are anticipated to save 30 million kWh and have a three-year payback period.
- Employing innovative data monitoring approaches, including sharing real-time energy data with tenants through the trademarked Energy Information Portal, and controlling energy management and building systems at its tenant services center.
- Creating Public Service Announcement opportunities through informational kiosks in its large regional malls, as well as creating a major advertising signage promotion of Vornado’s ENERGY STAR accomplishments through its LED motion screens in Times Square and Penn Plaza in New York City, reaching a daily audience of more than two million viewers.
- Enrolling all of its eligible buildings in EPA’s ENERGY STAR National Building Competition.
- Continuing to roll out the “It Takes Blue to Make Green” program that educates property teams, brokers, and tenants on how energy efficiency and the 1–100 ENERGY STAR score are essential components in optimizing building performance.
- Funding more than $10 million worth of base-building energy efficiency projects, including $5 million in 2013 alone.
- Decreasing weather normalized source energy usage from 2012 to 2013 by more than 205 million kBtu or 60 million kWh.