Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver (HFHMD) focuses on building high-quality, energy-efficient homes to save low-income homeowners hundreds of dollars each year on utility costs. These energy savings increase the amount of funds homeowners are able to utilize for other necessities such as food, medical attention, and educational supplies for their children, thereby helping families break the generational cycle of poverty. HFHMD is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its outstanding commitment to providing energy-efficient, affordable housing and incorporating ENERGY STAR products and building practices into their homes. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Completing 30 new ENERGY STAR certified homes in 2012, providing permanent and affordable housing to more than 120 adults and children--100 percent of its homes are ENERGY STAR certified.
- Bringing the total number of ENERGY STAR certified new homes built by HFHMD to 340, saving homeowners more than $1.1 million over the life of the homes and reducing carbon dioxide emissions by more than 30,000 metric tons.
- Completing construction of homes that meet the new, more stringent ENERGY STAR Version 3.0 requirements as well as the requirements of EPA's Indoor airPLUS and WaterSense programs.
- Equipping all new ENERGY STAR certified homes with ENERGY STAR certified products, including refrigerators, front-loading clothes washers, and CFL bulbs in all light fixtures.
- Educating homeowners, both before and after their homes are built, on the energy efficiency features of their homes and how to maximize their energy savings by properly operating and maintaining their homes.