Purchase, New York
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
PepsiCo, Inc. is a leading global food and beverage company that operates a range of manufacturing facilities across multiple food and beverage processing sectors. PepsiCo is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to promoting the value of strong energy management practices and the ENERGY STAR program throughout the business community. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Improving the energy performance of its legacy operations by nearly 3 percent while integrating a beverage business for a combined improvement of roughly 1 percent. If PepsiCo had not improved energy efficiency, the company would have spent over $40 million more on energy in 2012.
- Supporting development of ENERGY STAR industrial energy service and product providers by completing Teaming Profiles to share successful energy projects.
- Coordinating with utilities, other manufacturers, and EPA to host a meeting in the Texas region to introduce local manufacturers to ENERGY STAR industrial energy management resources.
- Evaluating its energy and carbon value chains for opportunities to reduce the impact of the company's product lines. PepsiCo's research into potato breeding and fertilizer usage is producing promising results that may reduce the use of fertilizer produced by energy intensive processes and has resulted in significant increases in potato yield, solids, and storage life. Improved yields and solids content translates directly to less land, water, pesticides, fertilizer, and fuel needed to grow the same amount of potatoes. Better and longer storage lifetimes allows for fewer potatoes to be shipped over fewer miles.
- Carrying out projects targeted at energy efficiency in the beverages division including annual savings of $624,000 from lighting upgrades and nearly $400,000 from new refrigeration controls. Other projects involved increased thermal recovery, improved heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, and more efficient air compressors.
- Showing leadership for ENERGY STAR initiatives in the food processing sectors by encouraging suppliers and other companies to participate in EPA's ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Food Processing.