ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
ArcelorMittal, the world's leading steel and mining company, provides steel solutions for the automobile, construction, household appliance, and energy markets. ArcelorMittal USA is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its commitment to identifying and implementing innovative solutions to increase the sustainability of its operations, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, protect the environment and natural resources, while saving energy and costs. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Accomplishing a 3.6 percent reduction in energy intensity, which is equivalent to powering 224,470 homes for a year.
- Expanding the ArcelorMittal USA energy program to include mining operations throughout the United States.
- Coordinating with other manufacturers, utilities, and EPA to host a meeting in the Northwest Indiana region to introduce manufacturers to EPA's ENERGY STAR industrial energy management resources.
- Carrying out projects targeted at energy efficiency including steam trap and leak management and improving motor utilization through use of variable frequency drives (VFDs) - at one plant, steam savings in 2012 equaled $1.375 million while elsewhere, VFDs were installed to control five motors resulting in electrical savings of $200,000 and reduced maintenance savings of $200,000.
- Completing a boiler project that transfers blast furnace gas (BFG) to a new boiler which cogenerates steam and electricity, nearly eliminating the flaring of BFG, and is expected to save $20 million annually.
- Encouraging employee energy achievements by developing and showcasing energy videos highlighting employees and their successful energy projects on the company's television circuits and intranet.