ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Hines is a privately owned real estate firm that manages more than 137 million square feet of property around the world. Hines is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for embracing ENERGY STAR energy management best practices and actively promoting ENERGY STAR as the platform for tracking and evaluating energy performance. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for 73 properties for the first time in 2012, contributing to a total of 960 ENERGY STAR certifications since 1999.
- Continuing to apply a policy that requires all Hines-managed properties to measure and track energy use in Portfolio Manager. Hines is actively benchmarking 224 buildings, representing 82 million square feet.
- Maintaining a high-performing portfolio, with 75 percent of actively benchmarked buildings earning ENERGY STAR certification. Compared to the national average, these buildings typically save $1.64 per square foot annually, equivalent to more than $125 million portfolio-wide.
- Engaging 950 tenants to save energy through its Hines GREEN OFFICE� (HinesGO�) program. The program draws on the ENERGY STAR Bring Your Green to Work initiative and has resulted in the designation of more than 42 million square feet as GREEN OFFICE space.
- Implementing the first annual East Region ENERGY STAR Score Improvement Challenge to identify the property that achieves the highest percent increase in its ENERGY STAR score over a 12-month period.
- Demonstrating a commitment to ENERGY STAR programs through the Hines ENERGY STAR Management Group (ESMG). The group meets monthly to review company initiatives and progress, collaborate with EPA representatives, and release the ESMG Newsletter to all building managers and engineers.