Loudoun County Public Schools
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
As the fourth largest school system in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) is a rapidly growing district that instructs more than 68,000 students at 13 high schools, 14 middle schools, 53 elementary schools, a technology center, and an alternative education school that together cover more than 9.6 million square feet. LCPS is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for its continued commitment to increasing energy efficiency through the creation of an energy-saving culture among students, staff members, and parents. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Benchmarking district facilities in Portfolio Manager, EPA's ENERGY STAR measurement and tracking tool, and earning ENERGY STAR certification for 42 district facilities.
- Achieving recognition as an ENERGY STAR Top Performer.
- Earning Designed to Earn the ENERGY STAR designation for six schools: Lunsford Middle School, Douglas Elementary School, Champe High School, Discovery Elementary School, Moorefield Station Elementary School, and Trailside Middle School.
- Encouraging regional use of the Master Account Sharing feature in Portfolio Manager through speaking events and presentations promoting the tool. LCPS's efforts have been influential in regional decisions to use this feature.
- Saving more than $47 million and preventing the emissions of more than 265,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide over the past 19 years.