Philips Lighting Company
Somerset, New Jersey
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
Philips Lighting Company is a leader in delivering sustainable and environmentally friendly lighting technologies and initiatives to the marketplace. Philips Lighting Company is also a leader in shaping the future with exciting new lighting applications and platforms such as LED technology, which, in addition to energy efficiency, provides attractive benefits and endless new never-before-possible sustainable lighting solutions. Philips Lighting Company is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for providing consumers with energy-efficient products to meet their lighting needs and consistently prioritizing ENERGY STAR in its design process and promotional efforts. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Nearly doubling its number of ENERGY STAR certified light bulb offerings from 2011 to 269 products. This includes the certification of 88 new LED models, among them the first 75 W omni-directional incandescent equivalent bulb.
- Partnering with a number of utilities in the northeast region to promote energy efficiency, adopting ENERGY STAR certified LED light bulbs, and distributing LED bulbs to 65,000 students at 40 area universities. This effort resulted in an estimated 59 million kWh savings, and an 89-million-pound reduction in GHG emissions over the lifetime of the products.
- Training more than 10,000 retailer and distributor employees through a variety of vehicles, including the Philips Lighting Application Center, road shows, and in-store training events.
- Demonstrating leadership in product innovation, including the Department of Energy L Prize-winning LED bulb, which was ENERGY STAR certified in 2012.
- Educating consumers about ENERGY STAR through its website as well as a series of YouTube videos on LED lighting.
- Supporting the ENERGY STAR Change the World, Start with ENERGY STAR campaign through its Team ENERGY STAR First Mates event, participation in Twitter and Facebook parties, and an employee pledge drive.