Valley Forge, Pennsylvania
ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence
Saint-Gobain manufactures a range of building products, high-performance materials, and glass containers at more than 130 plants throughout North America. The company also distributes building materials through 120 outlets in the United States. Saint-Gobain is receiving ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year - Sustained Excellence recognition for the sustained growth and continuous improvement of energy management across its operations. Key 2012 accomplishments include:
- Reducing energy intensity by 3 percent, an amount equivalent to the energy required to produce insulation for about 147,000 typical homes. Since 2008, the company has improved energy intensity by 14.9 percent.
- Working with EPA and its ENERGY STAR Focus Industries to share ideas and promote energy benchmarking of the company's various energy-consuming operations. Interaction with the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing led Saint-Gobain to form an internal working group focused on improvements in cleanroom efficiency. This model is being promoted across the company's other business units and divisions.
- Communicating the value of EPA's ENERGY STAR resources for manufacturers among a variety of audiences, including manufacturers, state energy offices, carbon management specialists, and policy groups.
- Coordinating with utilities, other manufacturers, and EPA to host a meeting in the Indiana region to introduce local manufacturers to ENERGY STAR industrial energy management resources.
- Promoting energy and carbon management within the company's value chain by sharing energy saving ideas for employees and by providing an online carbon calculator for customers.
- Maintaining EPA's ENERGY STAR certification for three container glass plants in the United States and demonstrating best-in-class energy performance in these facilities.