CalPortland Company is a major producer of cement, concrete, aggregates, and asphalt in the western
· Reducing energy intensity by nearly 1 percent while cutting total energy use by 3.2 percent despite challenging market conditions in the construction industry that negatively affect energy efficiency.
· Developing an extensive internal communication and information infrastructure to support energy management activities across the company and to facilitate extension of best practices and management strategies in all facilities.
· Revamping the company's purchasing policy to require purchasing only energy-efficient products through national accounts and according to specifications defined by the company.
· Supporting research into fuel use and driving patterns for its ready-mixed concrete trucks; this research resulted in changes to truck gearing, idle time policies, and truck routing for reductions in the use of diesel fuel, a significant energy source for the company.
· Building upon the success of the energy management organization by establishing a Green Team to support energy management as part of the company's sustainability efforts and to reach a greater number of employees.
· Supporting ENERGY STAR in the development of a new Industrial Focus on energy efficiency in concrete manufacturing.